Monday, August 6, 2012

A little about me...

Here we are… my first blog post! 

I spent the summer as a facilitator for the Utah State Office of Education traveling around Utah working with other teachers and the Math Common Core.  It was so fun- I love First Grade Teachers! Every site I went to, teachers would ask if I had a blog.  With their encouragement, I decided to take the plunge!

I guess I should start with a little about myself…

I graduated from Westminster College with a degree in Elementary Education and a minor in Special Education.  The BEST decision I have ever made was to go to Westminster.  A very close second was getting my Special Education certification.  Although I technically teach regular education, my SPED background is invaluable! 
I have been teaching First Grade for five years.  I cannot imagine loving a grade more than I love first! I also cannot imagine a more challenging grade to teach.  All teachers are special people, but it takes a special kind of crazy to teach First Grade!  (If you are a First Grade teacher reading this, you know exactly what I am talking about!)
I come from a family of nine children. If you're from a big family, then I don't have to explain what a wonderful, chaotic, experience it is. My sister Katherine and I always joke that if we need to talk to someone, and all of our siblings are busy, we know for sure that we don't have enough siblings!   While we are all very different, we all have a love of children.  My mom is a Resource Teacher and my older sister is a Fourth Grade Teacher. Teaching definitely runs in our blood.I am sure I will share more about my background as time goes on, but I think that’s enough for now…
This is me and my mama bear, July 4th, 2012

 



Here are some of my favorite things that hang in a special place in my classroom...

I was the first Regular Education Teacher in Granite School District to receive an Outstanding Educator award “in Service to Granite Special Education”. That was my very first year teaching. It has a lot of meaning for me.

I scored within the top 15% of all teachers on the Principles of Teaching and Learning Praxis test. Woot!

My friend Trish gave me this for my twenty-fifth birthday!
 
One of my students gave this to me for Teacher Appreciation Week! LOVE it!
 
 Another favorite saying… this was a special gift from a parent and good friend! Thanks, Michelle!! (And yes, I secretly believe this...)

I know this is a really common saying, but it is a driving force for me. I honestly believe that I have to give my all because I am impacting lives here… It’s pretty intense if you think about it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment